Monday, September 15, 2008

The T.P. man...

I'm on my way to Tibet soon, but don't want to forget to write this funny story down.

I was in Chengdu and Jan, Pedderass (Peter) and myself were just kickin it at an ex-pat bar, drinking a few beers. It was a nice night (outside - street side) and eventually we were joined by the owner and some of his very drunk friends. One of them really didn't like me because I was American, and he kept telling me he wanted to "test his power against me in the street" all night. That was no problem, really annoying, but I can ignore insults and challenges. By about 2:00 am, the TP man as I'll call him (power tester, backwards) went inside for a drink and I don't know why, but I turned around (maybe because I didn't trust him). When I looked inside I saw him yelling at the waitress and he pushed her away, so she slapped him, then he reached behind himself, grabbed a ceramic statue and broke it over her head! I have a hard time watching stuff like that, so when he walked past me like he was all bad and then sat down laughing about it with his friends (one of them the owner), I couldn't let it slide.

I walked over to his table without saying a word, and grabbed him... I can't remember were but I had a good grip, and I walked him through a few tables and chairs, with bottles and glasses breaking, I think I knocked a few tables down as well? Anyway, I dragged him to the steps of the bar/restaurant and stopped. He stood there and started saying something to me in drunken Chinese, with his finger raised in my face, and just before he hit my chest with his finger, I pushed with just my left hand. He went flying and landed face down on the side walk! It took him a good 5 seconds to get up, at which time the owner came up to me asking why I did that. I pointed to the waitress (that's not their proper name is it?), who had blood running down her face and neck, and then looked at the TP dude and said "he can't stay here"! The owner wasn't happy about it, but he decided to take my side (for a number of reasons probably) and walked down the steps to pacify the TP man. About 2 seconds later they were both on the ground rolling around, then the waitress came out of the bar to get into it and a minute later the police came!

Madness! That officially signaled the end of the night and the time to go back to our GH's! Really looking forward to Tibet.

No comments: